Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I'm not an athlete but...

I wear varsity jackets? Seems to be the trend these days, huh? I actually talked about this in one of my classes too, Fashion Forecasting..topic being the Trickle Up theory. I do believe this trend may carry on to the higher end. Not only are varsity jackets being seen on non-athlete male celebrities, but also women. With the demand and popularity, designers may jump on the bandwagon...putting their own twists to it, of course. Then again, there's that word "fad." A part of me is hesitating and thinking varsity jackets might just be history in a few weeks or months. It'd be interesting to see if this trend goes far in the fashion industry. Is it okay to wear them just for style or should they stay on athletes?











Photographed by Joel Moore
Edited by Angelica Barredo 

Yesterday was a pretty good day for a photoshoot, the freezing cold gave Joel and me a break haha. Joel told me about this building in Queens that was COVERED with graffiti. I didn't know that the landmark was that famous. It was called 5Pointz Mecca Building and I was completely fascinated by it. We didn't get a chance to go inside but we did take pictures around and outside the building. We thought it was interesting how outfits for that day completely meshed well with our backgrounds. We were both wearing neutral colored pieces and with the graffiti all bright and elaborate, it was as if WE stood out.

The whole scene was very urban and the jacket and beanie fit in fine. I decided to make the look a little bit more feminine by adding the black tights, black over the knees, and booties. For jewelry, I finished off with a chunky silver and rose gold necklace and tiny, simple rings on both hands. I'm a fan of dressing down but also dressing it up..or is it the other way around? It's weird that I notice how much my style has progressed.

In the beginning of high school, I wore a lot of Nike sneakers/flats and jeans..then towards the end of high school, all I wore were leggings/tights, combat boots, and blazers haha. I think the moment I started going to college in the city, my style definitely grew. I know what I can put together or what looks more flattering. I'm not an expert at all, I'm still learning and I like to discover new things...I'm more comfortable putting on pieces of clothing that people wouldn't think I'd wear. That goes for shoes as well. Who says you can't own sneakers if you own heels?

I guess what I'm saying is I don't stick to one look. One day I'm dressing like Mary-Kate Olsen, the other a complete girly-girl, or the next dressing like a boy haha. Ever since I did a research paper on Marc Jacobs last year, I suddenly became a fan of grunge in fashion. Kudos, sir. It's fun to mix pieces from time to time. By doing this, it proves a person doesn't need heaps and heaps of clothing in their drawers/closets. A girl can wear a certain item more than once and you wouldn't even notice. Accessorizing and knowing how to mix and match are keys :)

Urban Outfitters beanie hat, over the knee socks, and graphic cut off tank / Ray-Ban sunnies / Forever 21 varsity jacket and black tights / DSW booties / assorted jewelry from Aldo, H&M, & thrift stores

1 comment: